Maintaining a proper strength of the immune system in the body is a basic requirement for staying healthy. To avoid falling sick and to maintain good health, Ayurveda advises a number of simple formulas which are very effective to increase immunity or 'Ojas'. To become an expert in rejuvenation or 'rasayana' therapy, you might need to join our online courses on 'Original Ayurveda'.
However, here are some recipes for simple Ayurvedic tonics that act as 'Rasayanas'. These are especially beneficial for those who are physically weak, underweight and have weak muscles. The tonics given below nourish not only the body but mind too.
- Eat 3 or 4 figs and drink 250ml warm milk in the morning. One or two teaspoons of honey may be added to the milk for sweetening. Soak the figs in water if they are dry. It is a very good tonic and also cures constipation and anemia.
- Take 2 walnuts, 4 almonds and 7 raisins. Soak them overnight in water and eat the next morning with 250ml of warm milk. Chew well. It's good to add one or two teaspoons of honey to the milk for sweetening.
- Take 1 part dry dates (without seeds), 2 parts dry coconut and 3 parts sugar candy. Cut/break them into small pieces and mix together. Take about 50 grams of this mixture every morning. It's specially good for the children and prevents common ailments like tonsillitis, cold, cough, indigestion and diseases relating to teeth. The dose for children is 2 teaspoons and 4-5 teaspoons for adults. Do not drink water immediately after eating this mixture.
Take equal quantity of unpeeled apples and carrots grated. This mixture should be taken on an empty stomach in the morning. Dose can be up to 200 grams. Do not eat anything for 2 hours after eating this mixture. It is very effective in reducing extra fat, specially for the women. For increasing weight the same mixture should be taken immediately after lunch. Special Ayurvedic tonic for infants:
- Take 1 almond and soak it in water overnight. In the morning remove the skin of almond and make a fine paste by grinding it. Mix in 1 gram of honey. Give to babies who are 4 months or older. It is a nice tonic for both mental and physical development of the child. Please note that the almond should not be bitter and the paste should be very fine.
- Take 25 grams black chickpeas (kala chana). Soak them in 200 ml water in the night. It is advised to eat these next morning. The water can also be taken with or without mixing a teaspoon of honey. The sprouts made from black chickpeas can also be taken. They strengthen the lungs, help reduce cholesterol and are good in cases of heart disease. Those having a weak digestion or who develop heaviness after eating this, should discontinue.
- Take 2-3 dry dates and soak them in water every morning. In the evening boil them in 250ml milk untill half the quantity of milk remains. Cool and add one teaspoon honey as a sweetener. Eat the dates and drink the milk. This can be taken one hour before going to bed. Do not drink water for 2 hours after taking this tonic. This tonic helps to build all the 'Dhatus', gives strength to lungs, increases blood circulation, cleans the bowels and alleviates Vata and Pitta.
Simple Ayurvedic remedies can play a very effective role as first aid for many common ailments, such as earache, backache and diarrhea. Try these simple treatments and stay healthy in a natural way.
Take one teaspoonful of ginger powder and one teaspoonful of licorice powder. Add half a litre of water and boil the mixture till it reduces to one fourth (about 125 ml.). Strain it and drink it warm. Adding a teaspoonful of honey or one gram of common salt is beneficial.
Make a paste of ginger, and apply to the affected area. Massaging with eucalyptus oil is very effective. You can also make your own massaging oil. Take 2-3 cloves of garlic, and cut them into small pieces. Put them in 100 ml. of sesame oil or mustard oil (or any other oil if these two are not available). Boil on slow fire for about five minutes. This oil is very good for massaging the area of backache.
Applying a paste of sandalwood powder is helpful in the cases of external bleeding. It stops the bleeding and also heals the wound. Drinking a cup of warm milk with half teaspoonful turmeric powder and a pinch of saffron or alum, added to it is also very good healing drink. It also acts as pain reliever.
Make a paste of fresh gel of aloe-vera with a pinch of turmeric powder. Adding one 1-2 grams of ghee or coconut oil to this paste makes it more effective. This paste can be applied to the burnt area.
Take one tablespoon of grated fresh ginger, one teaspoonful of cinnamon powder and one teaspoonful of licorice powder. Add all these together to one litre water and boil on slow fire for ten minutes till about one fourth (250 ml.) of it is left. This drink can be taken three times in a day. Honey can added as a sweetener.
Add one teaspoon of fresh grated ginger and one gram of nutmeg powder to half a cup of water. Blend them together for few minutes into a mixture. Drinking this twice or thrice a day helps to stop diarrhea.
Take 2-3 cloves of garlic. Peel off the skin and cut them into small pieces. Add 100 ml. of sesame or mustard oil and boil on a slow fire for about five minutes. Strain and when it becomes cool, drop two drops in the aching ear. Can be used two times a day.
Make a mixture of one teaspoonful of onion juice and half teaspoonful of honey. This mixture is also helpful in earache. Two drops in each ear can be used two times a day.
Put 2-3 drops of pure rose water into the affected eye. This can be used two or three times a day. It also helps in itchy eyes and reduces the redness in the eyes.
Apply cooked onion as a poultice on the boil. A paste of ginger powder (one teaspoonful) and turmeric powder (one teaspoonful) is also good to apply on the boil. Either the boil will be suppressed or a head will appear so that the pus can be drained out easily.
Drink one glass (250 ml.) of coconut water or grape juice. Take 3-4 pieces of dates and cook them with one glass of milk or water. Eat the dates and drink the milk or water. It is also good to blend them in a mixture before taking. This drink is very good and gives instant energy.
Squeeze the juice of half lemon into a cup of water and add one teaspoonful of honey. This drink should be taken every morning. Massaging the gums gently with coconut oil also helps.
Take one tablespoon of aloe-vera gel and mix in half a gram of black pepper powder. Such a mixture can be taken 2-3 times during the day or until the cramps disappear. Try out some these simple Ayurvedic first aid remedies and stay healthy.